Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 42: Strawberry Season in PA!

Carol:

Waking up to rain, I decided to wait out the drizzle in my sleeping bag, while Colin started to pack up his ThermaRest and clothes. By the time I walked out of the tent, the skies had cleared up and we had breakfast while the rainfly dried.
We stopped in Geneva By the Lake for a snack and had a nice conversation with a woman who had biked across the US twice. On her last tour, she was bitten by a dog, which confirmed my fear of the chasing dogs we've met on the road.
For the last few days, I learned that it was strawberry season because of the many farm signs for fresh strawberries, but we could never find the farmer's stall. Today, our fortunes changed! I was able to buy a quart of local strawberries, which greatly improved our lunch.
Early in the afternoon, we made it into Pennsylvania, our 10th state. With the promise of cheaper accomodations and free breakfast (along with a thunderstorm scheduled to start in 20 minutes), we decided to stay in Erie, rather than push on to North East. I can hardly believe that we're in PA already. With the end of the tour in sight, I reflected on how I've learned to be more comfortable with the unknown and to stay flexible when making decisions.

68 miles
2953 miles total

1 comment: