Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 29: Parched

Carol:
After a nice chat with our camping neighbors, we hit the road in anticipation of headwinds and thunderstorms. Since we cannot ride on the interstate, Colin and I have been piecing our ride together using state highways and backroads. Most of the roads are perpendicular to one another. This means that while we don't have efficient diagonal roads, we can let the winds dictate which road we take. The strong headwinds never came and we were cruising until 3pm. At 3pm, I realized I was overheating and bought a Gatorade and icecream. Unfortunately, I had not paid attention to my water intake and as a result, I was very dehydrated, sluggish and irritable. The last 37 miles were a slog. Thankfully, Colin was a great partner and stopped for all my snack requests, and more or less demanded I drink more water.
We arrived at Lytton to meet our Warmshowers hosts. Rob and Faith welcomed us into their home with pasta and stories of their bike tours, including the Camino del Santiago. Their adventures have already inspired our future plans for rides. They also gave us great tips for traveling through Iowa.

110 miles
1900 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment