Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Day 12: A Tire Homecoming

Carol:

Coming off my first century, I felt that we could sleep in to the ripe hour of 7am. After a hearty breakfast at the Bison Inn, we aimed for Missoula. Unfortunately, my hamstrings felt a touch tight so we did not make good time as I had hoped. Much of the ride was through trucker rest stops and on highway shoulders with zipping trucks, which made for both a stressful ride and a less than scenic view. We got to Missoula a little bit after lunch and decided to press on towards Butte.
Colin was extremely amused to ride by the missoula airport, for which our bike tires (Clement MSO X-PLORs ) are named. In addition to the homecoming for the tires, the highlight of Colin's day was likely finding Reginald, a plastic dinosaur, on the side of the road. Reg will serve as Colin's totem for the remainder of the trip  (photo debut below). As I've taken to saying, "The Road will provide!" Perhaps I'll find a sock monkey soon to serve as my totem!
The highlight of my day was stopping at Poor Henry's Cafe located on Meager Lane and eating an Oreo, wrapped in a chocolate chip cookie. Now that's the type of bike touring Im talking about!
Lastly, fun fact we learned for the day, Rock Creek Lodge is the host for the annual Testicle Festival, affectionatley called TestyFesty (sign photo below). The programming of such a festival kept our conversation going for quite a while.
We ended the night at Beavertail Creek Campground with a warm fire.

68 miles

666 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment